Although I usually trust America’s Test Kitchen the most, I was not greatly impressed with this one but it did the job. The recipe comes from “The ATK Healthy Family Cookbook” It can also be made with pears which I would like to try next time as well as serving in individual ramekins.
What I liked:
The crispy oats atop the apples due to them baking separately for most of the baking.
The sweetness and flavor of the oat mixture.
What I DISliked:
The apples were still a bit crisp after baking and could have even more flavor and volume.
The presentation was horrible when plated.
- 2T Brown Sugar
- 2t lemon juice
- 1t cornstarch
- 3lbs mixed apples (peeled, cored and cut into 1 in chunks)
- 1/2C chopped almonds
- 1/2C AP flour
- 1/4C brown sugar
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/4t salt
- 1/8t ground nutmeg
- 5T melted butter, cooled
- 3/4C rolled oats
- 2T honey
- Set oven to 400 degrees
- Combine sugar, juice, and cornstarch before adding apples and during into an 8X8 in baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Pulse almonds, flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a food processor 10 pulses. Add melted butter and pulse 5 times. Finally, add the oats and honey and process until combined (3 more pulses).
- Bake topping on a lined baking sheet above the apples. Topping- 8-12 min Apples 30 min
- When filling is done stir and add topping and bake additional 10 minutes