On a random Tuesday before all of my reality TV shows started I whipped together this cinnamon coffee cake. I used a new approach as I was trying to finish off the rest of the baking ingredients in my cabinet without having to buy new ones. I turned to supercook.com where you can search recipes based on the ingredients in your kitchen. Of course it wouldn’t be a 6X6 recipe without a few additions. In this case I added about 1t of vanilla and topped the cake with walnut pieces. I also did not have a loaf pan and used a 9x9in baking dish. I am sure it would also taste great as muffins. I would also like to try it using brown sugar as many of the user comments suggested.
- 1/3 C sugar + 2t cinnamon combined
- 1C sugar
- 2C flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1C milk (I used Almond)
- 1T baking powder
- 1/3C Vegetable oil
- 1/2t salt
- 1/2C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 cup sugar. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Pour half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle with half the reserved cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon/sugar mixture. Draw a knife through batter to marble.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. I baked mine for a shorter amount of time for the square baking dish.