I have been wanting to make a simple “donut muffin” for a while and whipped up a batch, but was a little disappointed when it only turned out 8 muffins and I only had whole wheat flour so they turned out a little more dense than I anticipated. Also I think this recipe would have benefited from a mixer to beat the batter but unfortunately I do not have the resources.
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (I used almond)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat but would prefer AP)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Topping: 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix melted butter, egg, vanilla, and milk together.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. Mixture will be thick. Don’t OVER mix!
- Add batter to muffin pan (I prefer lined with cupcake liners) filling each half way.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. (mine took 20 minutes)
- In another bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- When the muffins are done, remove them from the oven and let cool 1-2 minutes (or until cool enough to handle). Roll top in butter then cinnamon sugar mixture.
9In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter in the microwave (20 seconds).
10Dip tops of each muffin into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.