Since I am taking part in this years Food Blogger Cookie Swap (http://www.fbcookieswap.com), I figured it is time to practice my cookie baking skills. This cookie is a take off of the St. Louis original Gooey Butter Cake which includes a cakey layer with a buttery custard top. They traditionally include cream cheese and a dusting of powdered sugar. I started these cookies out with simply a yellow cake mix, however I think I would have benefitted including a lemon cake or glaze on top. I am also going to attempt to make a chocolate version next week.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 8oz brick of cream cheese, softened
- 1 sick (1/2c) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4c confectioners sugar
- mix butter, cream cheese and egg in a bowl (this is a moment I wish I had a mixer).
- Stir in cake mix and refrigerate a few hours
- Roll into balls (I found they are best 1tbsp size)
- Generously coat in powdered sugar
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes- Most recipes call for 10-12 but in order to get the obey gooey effect go for 9
- Dust with additional powdered sugar