Well I wanted some barbecue chicken, but I did not want to wait all day for it to simmer in a slow cooker. The result was a quick and easy recipe inspired by America’s Test Kitchen slow cooker pulled chicken recipe. This can obviously be made using a slow cooker in which case I would stick with the ATK instructions for best results.
- 3 cups thinly sliced onion (1 yellow)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (I used olive)
- 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 (1.2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Saute onion in pan for 5-10 minutes in oil.
- Prepare chicken by patting dry and slicing breasts in half.
- Add spices to bloom flavors before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Place in oven at 325 degrees covered for 1 hour. Pull chicken using two forks and serve with toasted buns. (Mine was fully cooked after only 40 minutes)