RED LENTIL STOVETOP DAL
I tried a new Dal recipe loosely based off my Global Kitchen cookbook. If you know anything about purchasing lentils, they are so cheap and easy to cook therefore I do not like ordering them from restaurants as they are hugely marked up in price. I also had leftover scallions, tomato paste, and limes from making bulgur earlier in the week.
- 2C broth
- 1C red lentils
- 1.5C chopped onion (I used scallions)
- 1T minced garlic
- 1t stone ground mustard
- chopped chili peppers to your spice level
- 1t cumin
- 1t turmeric
- 1/2t cardamom
- 1/2t paprika
- 1/2t pepper
- 1T tomato paste
- 1/2c milk ( I used almond)
- 2t lime juice (I used 2 limes)
- 2 small fresh tomatoes chopped
- Bring broth and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet with oil and sauté onion, garlic, pepper, and mustard 5 min.
- Add spices (3 min) then tomato paste (3min) constantly stirring.
- Add lentils and milk stirring 3 min.
- Remove from heat and stir on tomatoes and lime juice. Serve with naan, rice, or meat. Can be eaten warm or room temperature.