The Puffed Pea Pastry was delicious; however the puff pastry comes in a box of two so I had a leftover puff pastry I wanted to transform into an easy breakfast for my guest visitor/sister Aubrey. I turned to youtube for the braiding instructions (which were super simple, and I turned to my fridge for filling ideas. This does not need to be presented in a large braid, it can make several little hand pies but I was going for presentation.
- Fresh Fruit (I used frozen blueberries)
- Jam (I had blueberry)
- Puff pastry
- Cinnamon sugar mixture for sprinkling on top
- Roll out the pastry over a floured surface
- Throw a handful of fruit and a good dose of jam (1/2-3/4 cup?) into a saucepan. I am totally guessing as I eyeballed all of this. Let simmer until blueberries burst and add cornstarch to thicken a few minutes.
- Prepare dough to your liking and fill with jam mixture and extra fresh fruit before folding.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Or until top is golden brown.
- Enjoy some fresh coffee while waiting then slice and enjoy.
Caution: Filling will be hot so let rest several minutes before serving.
TIPS: Next time I may brush the top with an egg wash before adding the sugar to allow an extra golden crust and the sugar to stick even better. And I will cook a few minutes longer, but was hungry and impatient.
It can be turned into a danish by substituting jam with cream cheese and topping with a powdered sugar glaze and almond slices.