I thought it would be nice to add zucchini fritters to my meal, however they are a “high maintenance” side. Basically they require babysitting the skillet and they are not as good as leftovers as they lose crispness. Thanks to Gina’s skinnytaste, I made this baked version of the fritters. They are simply baked in a muffin tin and are hard to mess up or overcook.
I also made use of the leftover crostini I made out of a loaf of bread that was about to spoil. One loaf turned into three uses. First as bread, then crispy crostini, now breadcrumbs to adhere the mixture for my cakes!
- 1 cup zucchini, grated (1 small zucchini)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel. Wring all of the excess water out of the zucchini. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. This is a very important step!
- Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it’s nice and compacted so they don’t fall apart when you take them out of the tin.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden.
- Use a plastic knife or rubber spatula around the edges of each tot to remove them from the muffin tin.