This recipe I created off of several different slaw recipes I found. I ended up with a recipe most similar to the one in Fine Cooking Magazine (putting my Christmas gift subscription to good use). I also used some ideas from Simply Recipes “Slaw with Cranberry Orange Dressing” I concluded that I wanted to have a sweet, savory, and crunchy aspect to the slaw. I wanted a base of cabbage with some sort of added color and flavor from either carrots, fennel, or apples. I needed acidity and my personal favorite is apple cider vinegar. I needed a little sweet so I went for orange juice. In the herb department- mint and the nut topping- toasted and salted almonds. These were used both because they are a personal favorite but also because I had them on hand from another recipe.
- 1/2 Head cabbage about 4 C, shredded(I used the least expensive)
- 2 carrots, shaved (or broccoli stalks)
- 1/2-3/4C orange sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2C mint
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 3Torange juice
- orange zest from 1 orange
- 3-4T apple cider vinegar
- toasted salted almonds to your liking
I really wanted to make this as a side to a great pulled pork sandwich or picnic lunch, but I wanted to be sure it was a hit before making it again. i enjoyed how much this made at such a cheap price and I plan on making it more often.
Sweet and Spicy Slaw
- Put cranberries in a small bowl with boiling water 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Whisk together mint, cayenne, cumin, orange juice, salt, vinegar.
- Stir in zest and cranberries and mix into cabbage and shaved carrots.
- Top with almonds before serving