Fresh Cranberry Upsidedown Cake
Not so picture perfect
Earlier in the season there was a cranberry festival here in NYC (Rockefeller Center) with a bog and giveaways. I attended only to find it was pretty much over, but I did get to try a fresh cranberry for the first time.
After some research I found that these berries last a long time in the fridge and even longer if frozen. Yes they are tart, but like an acidic lemon with the addition of enough sugar can be a great addition to a dessert. Well I was inspired and bought a bag with no clear plan of what to make. Since I had never made an upside-down cake before, I figured it would be a great test. I thought a super sweet simple cake would offset the tart cranberries.
I adapted the recipe from Cooking Light
Even after melting brown sugar and butter in a pan, it was not enough of a glaze for the cranberries. Needless to say, I was not so proud of this recipe but I refuse to throw out any leftovers. I then moved combined the cake with a frosting and rolled it into cake balls coated in coconut flakes. Still a failure. The rest ended up in the trash.
Davids 24 Days of Tea Examined
6. Genmaicha- Light in color with a toasty flavor. For the true green tea lover. Simply green tea and toasted rice. Caution tea is very fine and debris falls through even a fine mesh filter!
7. Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait- Another very pleasing tea with a bright pink color from natural sources. Hibiscus tea base very enjoyable decaf tea.
8. Mango Madness- One of my personal favorites. Not sure if fruity is just my thing, but I really enjoyed the lightly caffeinated white tea.
9. Silk Dragon Jasmine- Another green tea I enjoyed even more than day six. Plus tea leaves are bigger so they do not fall through the filter.
10. Coffee Cake- Black tea very different from any of the above. Dark in color and sweet in flavor.
11.Mothers Little Helper- Nice herbal tea. Minty chamomile I enjoyed as a late night tea.
12. Kokomo Green- The greens just keep getting better. This is a green tea with added flavor of exotic fruits as well as flower petals.
13. Glitter and Gold- My least favorite tea so far. A dark black tea with added sugar crystals for presentation. On a plus side it is a very presentational tea with gold balls and sugar crystal sparkles.
Tomorrow a cranberry success just in time for a special guest!